Sunday, 15 May 2011

Interview with the Indonesian grind bulldozer Injakmati!

Originally published in issue #11 of Ploppy Pants, this interview is with Dolly Guitarist and mastermind behind the Indonesian crust/grind outfit Injakmati. My band Atomgevitter will be touring with them in July through Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia so it seems like a good time to re-publish our chat from late 2009 - enjoy!


Dolly, my brother how are ya? How is the Indonesian summer? We’re freezing our asses off over here right now!! So lets start with introductions, who are Injakmati, when did you start, who plays what and what does the bands name mean in English?

Hey Roddy my blood brother! ciamar a tha thu?! How’s the Black Sister and Atomgevitter doing? I’m good. Summer has just begun here so get ready to feel the most extreme heat as hell! Injakmati started in the middle of 2000’s by me on (G)uitar and insults, Benny(V),Gamebell (B) and Ade(D). Today the line up is me/Dolly Patchaos(G+insults), Adit Riot(B) and Ranggaukkus(D).When the time most people read this we will have a new singer. The band’s name means step/tread you till death. It supposed to be with space : Injak_Mati, but that’s not looks cool hehe…

Injakmati is based out of Jakarta Indonesia so lease tell us a little about the scene over there, how did you guys come to be exposed to punk in the first place, how and when did the Indonesian scene develop?

Scene in here existed in early 90’s.At that time only a few local bands were playing around but lots of squats and kids who are into punk and hardcore. The scene is getting bigger everyday, especially when we more connected to other punks around the world by the internet (MySpace?).We can get more info about punk activities, stuffs, bands and doing communication and sharing each other more intense. All of them are easier than a few years back. And the good news is there are many good responses towards the Indonesian punks.

What does it mean to be a punk in Indonesia, do you get a lot of trouble from ‘normal’ people on the street? Does playing in the band help you guys deal with your daily lives over there??

I think every person have their own opinion why they decided to be a punk, but for me punk is like a place where I can get more freedom, happiness, love, peace and comradeship/brotherhood. All the shit things I see in this shitty world where always full of war, lies, repression and greed which made a bad situation and destruction to our earth has attracted me to be a punk. So maybe through the band I can spread and scream our anger and peace messages to the world and hope to make a better change. I know it’s quite a hard work but at least we can give a little contribution. Most people who are not really understand yet about what punk is maybe only think and see that punx are just a bunch of scumbags. This is really their big mistake when they only judge a book by the cover. So I think as long as we keep our attitude without harming anyone else we will never get any trouble because that’s not what we wanted.

You describe yourselves as oldgrind/fast punx bulldozers and I would definitely agree that you manage to create a pretty raw assault that sounds like a bulldozer crushing your house but what does this slogan mean to you, who were the bands that you had in mind when you started the band, were you aiming for a certain sound or did it all happen organically?

Well I put this slogan after I heard the result of our first recording in 2009.Old grind/punk fathers and some freaky bands I have in mind like Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Heresy, Assuck, Phobia, Cripple Bastards, Gride, Unholy Grave, Agathocles, Fighting Cougars, Disrupt, Mindflair etc.. Has extremely poisoned me to get a ride an old bulldozer with full speed then crushing/destroying all the shit things in front of our face and keep the DIY punk flag flying high! The music created just that flow at the time we played with our minimalist skills and instruments.

The lyrics of Injakmati cover typical punk topics like war and the DIY scene but the lyrics to the song Disgrace where you seem to be attacking students really stood out for me, could you please explain what this song is about? Are there any issues in particular that you feel strongly should be represented in your lyrics?

Disgrace is a portrait of some stupid Indonesian students behaviour who shown a barbaric entertainment on the street or at their school/college. You can see it almost everyday! They fight each other just because some irrational reasons. This is ridiculous for me! I don’t discredit them but I just don’t understand why the intellect people like them acts like they have no brain. And ironically when some of them become a successman after they graduated or become a part in power authority they use their power to fool other people. They only think for their own greed and never give a fuck to the poor who supposed to be supported by them. This is so sad! Education in here is so expensive and so fucked up! My only message of this song is please stop this madness!

Your first release was a split 7” with Black Sister and I know you have a few other releases lined up, is this an important part of the band for you guys, to be able to release a lot of different records in different countries? Have you had any feedback on your releases so far?

This is exactly what we wanted as a DIY underground band! By sharing records it can be helps us to get connected to other DIY bands/punks around the world. Create communications, doing a trade which definitely can make a beautiful friendship! That’s what I’m feeling. Yeah, so many responses like trade or split offer coming to us since our 1st release with our black brothers metalhead!

Injakmati has only just played your first live show and as I understand it ended in a drunken riot, why did it take you so long to play a live show and what was the trouble on the night? Is this kind of chaos typical at shows in Indonesia?

I think this can be happened in every gigs anytime, anywhere. But actually riot at the shows has almost never happened again in here, we just the lucky bastards who got a throwing boots from that fuckin drunken master while we play that night, haha.. Line up changing and other activities outside the band such as looking some money to take care our arses and family have make us run slowly so we have to look the right time to play a live show.

And speaking of live shows a lot of DIY bands from Europe and the USA seem to be touring Southern Asia these days, what has been the reaction to this within the Indonesian scene, are folk happy to see these foreign acts coming over?

Yeah, touring bands from abroad has always get a good welcome from the kids in here and we’ve been really enjoyed their shows!

Ok this one is for you Dolly, we first made contact through your patch making business and I think this possibility for 2 people from the opposite sides of the world to build a relationship is one of the best aspects of the DIY underground, what do think, have you had a lot of positive experiences through your patch business?

I got a lot of positive experiences and even something that I think it’s not only a business but also a true friendship. This is also the way for me to know/meet other people from the other part of the world and make a brotherhood. This is amazing and beautiful for me! I remember the first time you contacted me when you were in Fighting Cougars and played a show with Avskum then you got a patch from them with my DIY hand writing on the back. It’s been a long time a go! From patches to our split 7” to this interview! Wow! We make a fantastic relationship until now! And finally to be meeting you face to face soon in 2011!!

There seems to be a hell of a lot of bands in Indonesia right now (I certainly get enough messages coming to the Problem? Records MySpace looking for a record deal!) but the quality of a lot of these bands is not exactly the best... which bands should we be looking out for from Indonesia right now, which bands are setting your stereos on fire??

Yeah, lots of damn newer bands almost born everyday here! Some of them are really dead serious to play! But this sounds stupid because I don’t know which bands I should tell since we have a different taste and since my tape and cd player is broken since a long time a go so I can’t play lots of records these days and I don’t have the time to hear those bands properly. Sorry!!!

As you guys know, in Ploppy Pants zine we want to hear your stories of pant shitting disasters so please, I hope the Injakmati boys will not disappoint!!

Hahaha! This one I like! I’m happy to get my turn to tell my own. Well, I got a diarrhoea disease a few years ago. At the last days when I feel getting better I ran to the toilet but I didn’t make it to put my underwear down so the shit blew out faster than when I saw it I was really happy! You know why? I got my shit gets normal again ;)

Ok guys that’s it, thanks for answering my questions and please take this space to add whatever you like!!

I thank you so much for doing this interview for the bastards like us. I hope you understand my English. I also wanna thanks for all your kindness and help and support to me and Injakmati since the beginning. You are my DIY hero Roddy! I’ve been really learn so much from you about true friendship, DIY, English and anything that I can’t say here. Thanks for the people who read this! Please get in touch for Injakmati merch, trade, split offer, friendship, insults or to get some patches done or T-Shirt printing from me, just write for my DIY price list!

Friendship gu brath!

Visit us at: www.myspace.com/injakmati

e-mail: injakmati@rocketmail.com

or contact me at: www.myspace.com/dzpatchaos

e-mail: dpsprinting@ymail.com

Cheers & Peace from Indonesia!

Dolly Patchaos//Injakmati.