As a wee teaser for Live Evil my good man Munky Dilation from dungeon metal masters Vuil has put together a Live Evil themed C-60, and I have for you below an exclusive interview with hell metalers Midnight! Vuil are cranking out some serious 80's black metal and I doubt it will be long until they are playing Live Evil themselves, expect an interview here soon. Midnight have been on my radar for a while but their latest LP 'Stanic Royalty' completely blew me away, the perfect mix of Venom and Motorhead in the 21st century, I highly recomend picking up the new album or getting along to Live Evil if you can.
Anyway, download the comp, put on the kettle and settle down for an unholy read!
1. Midnight, the middle of the night, end of one day and the start of the next, a threshhold if you will. What does Midnight mean to you?
NOTHIN MAN. TIME TO GO TO FUCKIN SLEEP.
2. What was your favorite ever midnight?
I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE THE ONE IN 2000 WHERE ME AND KARL FROM GATES OF SLUMBER WERE WATCHING EXCALIBUR AT MY HOUSE AFTER I GOT DONE WITH WORK AND I FELL ASLEEP BEFORE MIDNIGHT!
3. Your latest album is called Satanic Royalty. Do you think the political and economic situation in the EU would be improved if Cronos was the king of England?
I WOULD CERTAINLY HOPE SO. ISN'T HE THE KING OF ENGLAND ALREADY? OR JUST MAYOR OF NEWCASTLE?
4. If you had to select a satanic royal family who would be in it, who are the top dogs?
WELL IF I WAS IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING IT WOULD TAKE A LONG FUCKING TIME. SO IT PROBABLY WOULD NEVER GET DONE.
5. As a one man band, how often do you mix up the line-up? Do you have a set USA, European etc line up or does it just depend on who is available/you are friends with at the time?
IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME DRUMMIST AND I LIKE TO HAVE THE SAME AXIST BUT OVER THE YEARS THERE HAS BEEN 4 DIFFERENT ONES.
6. Why did you chose to take the one man army route? What have been the main advantages/disadvantages in your opinion, nd do you have any advice for any budding bedroom metal warriors out there?
I GOT SICK OF BEING IN BANDS AND NOT GETTING MY WAY! MY ADVICE FOR BEDROOM METALISTS IS IT'S GOOD TO BE IN BANDS TOO THAT'S HOW YOU GET DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES OF STUFF AND THEN YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN RULES. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND QUICK JACKIN YOUR DONG. YOU'LL HAVE TIME TO NEVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSE WHEN YOU GET IN YOUR LATE 30'S.
7. I read in another interview that you dont drink or take drugs, very cool! what kind of reactions have you had to this from the metal scene? What are your reasons for abstaining?
I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S VERY COOL, IT'S JUST SOMETHING I NEVER GAVE A SHIT ABOUT. KINDA LIKE WHAT GLEN FREY SAYS IN THE EAGLES DOCUMENTARY WHEN QUOTING DON HENLEY "IT'S PERSONAL AND PRIVATE, REAL FUCKING PRIVATE!" NOT REALLY I JUST WANTED TO TYPE THAT.
8. you recorded an EP where you only played covers of the punk band The Pagans. Why The Pagans only? Any plans for any more punk covers
EP's? IT WAS THE SPITS. BUT YEAH I'VE DONE 2 OTHER PAGANS COVERS ON DIFFERENT RECORDS. NO MORE PLANS FOR ANY COVERS EP'S, BUT WHO KNOWS?!
9. As a band that takes influence from the 80's metal sound and successfully creates something new within that framework how do you fell about old bands from the 80's who reform and create music with a modern style?
10. Who in your opinion are the old band who 'have still got it'?
I STILL LIKE THE IRON MAIDEN BAND AND THE NEW BLACK SABBATH WITHOUT BILL WARD IS PRETTY DAMN GOOD.
11. Midnight is obviously a band which takes small steps, just a few EP's and one full lp in ten years, what would you like to achive over the next ten years? what is you main goal with the band?
NO GOALS. THIS ISN'T A CAREER IT'S JUST SOMETHING I HAVE TO DO TO KEEP FROM GOING TOTALLY INSANE.
Midnight's fantastic new LP 'Satanic Royalty' is available from Hell's Headbangers.
More about Live Evil fest here
1. Natur - Head of death
2. Midnight - You can't stop steel
3. Satan - Who dies wins
4. Bunker 66 - Radioactive bath
5. Aura Noir - Gaping grave awaits
6. Children of Technology - Screams from the earth
7. Vulcano - Blind science
8. Cruel Force - Under sign of the moon
9. Morbus Chron - Lidless coffin
10. Pagan Altar - Reincarnation
11. Maim - Covet Death
Bang your head!